Friday, February 18, 2011

E-Book Piracy on the Rise

David Carnoy, CNET executive editor, comments on the shocking rise in e-book piracy... and how it might change the face of an industry we haven’t even gotten used to yet:
I probably don't need to point this out, but I will. I have about 600 books in my paper book collection, which took me years to gather and prune during various moves. Digitally, that same collection could be downloaded in around 30 minutes and stored on a cheap 1GB thumb drive (or a Kindle).

A lot of people think that's a good thing. And maybe it is. But what should also be alarming to publishers is that the number of people pirating books is growing along with the number of titles that are available for download. As I've written in the past, the rise of the iPad has spurred some of the pirating, but now the huge success of the Kindle is also leading to increased pirating. Yes, some companies, such as Attributor, have done some studies about the issue and have seen increases. But for my evidence one only need glance at Pirate Bay and see what people are downloading and how many of them are doing it.
Carnoy’s piece is lengthy, well considered and it’s here.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

.