Thursday, June 30, 2011

Gone With the Wind at 75

Seventy-Five years after the publication of one of publishing’s major blockbusters of the 20th century, NPR looks back at the woman who won a Pulitzer Prize for her only published novel. Gone With the Wind has been one of the most popular books of all time, and has sold over 30 million copies:
In June 1936, a blockbuster of a book was published; it gave the world a sense of the Old South, an unforgettable heroine and (in the movie version) the phrase "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

Margaret Mitchell's Gone with the Wind sold one million copies in its first six months, won the Pulitzer Prize in 1937 and brought an explosion of unexpected, unwished-for celebrity to its author.
The full piece is here.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

One of my favorite books and movies of all time!

Sunday, July 3, 2011 at 9:15:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Sue Bursztynski said...

I read the book and saw the movie when i was in my teens. I only went a second time because a friend of mine wanted company. I may get a lot of abuse for saying this, but to me, the book was 1000 pages of Mills and Boon. That said, the history of both book and film fascinates me.

Sunday, July 10, 2011 at 6:53:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home

.