Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Review: Walla Walla Suite by Anne Argula

Today, in January Magazine’s crime fiction section, Linda L. Richards reviews Walla Walla Suite by Anne Argula. For the most part, Richards likes the book, saying that:
Our heroine is earthy. She has been cut loose by a longtime mate. She is an ex-cop from Spokane, Washington, who has recently become a P.I. And she is suffering though a menopause of otherworldly proportions: her hot flashes get to be like the atmospheric weather descriptions in other books. Actually, since Walla Walla Suite is set in Seattle, we of course get some conventional weather reports, as well. But this writer's prose is so lean and muscular, you never get tired of either kind. Quite the opposite, in fact. Argula has the gift, that classic noir gift, of describing things amply in just a few words. Argula evokes more with a shrug of the shoulders and a flick of the wrist than other writers call forth in whole chapters.
The full review is here.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved this book (and "her" first
one too.) But I was also disappointed to learn that "she"
was actually Darryl Ponicsan. I'd
intended to go to a reading and
get my book autographed, but bailed
on it when I found out. Not sure why I felt like I'd been "had,"
but I do. It's actually to Darryl's
credit that he came up with such
a credible female voice. But still.

And yes, I will be in that line for
the next one anyway.

Tuesday, October 2, 2007 at 10:44:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home

.