Monday, December 08, 2008

Interview: Inger Ash Wolfe author of The Calling

When The Calling debuted early in 2008, some reviewers reacted with anger: just who was this mystery author whose identity was being kept such a big secret?

In a January Magazine exclusive interview, Ali Karim gets no closer to an answer, but reveals some interesting tidbits along the way.

From the interview:
Ali Karim: Ms. Wolfe, let’s get the pressing questions out of the way before we talk about your debut crime thriller. What made you choose to publish The Calling under a pen name?

Inger Ash Wolfe: There are a couple of reasons, the most important of which is that I wanted these novels to be read in their own context and to succeed or fail on their own terms. I can’t do that under my own name. Also, the genre discussion -- what does it mean to write genre, who is a genre writer, what does it mean to write more than one kind of fiction -- is a heated one, and I didn’t set out to write these books in order to take a side. I don’t want to be co-opted into a debate I can’t contribute to (or be directly accused of holding positions I don’t hold) so the pseudonym is a way of abstaining. I am writing these books because they’re fun to write, end of story.
The full interview is here.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

.