Thursday, June 09, 2011

How to Kill the Love of Reading

Every modern parent knows that, to raise a reader, you have to encourage reading. However Julia Donaldson, author of around 120 books and Britain’s new Children’s Laureate says that, when it comes to kids and reading, there really is such a thing as too much.

“I don’t believe you should push your children too hard,” Donaldson told The Independent. “They are so sensitive. If they are not ready to read it can be detrimental and it is more likely they will be worse off. I really find pushy parents a pain. I have met a lot in my time and while it is important to read, it should be enjoyable. It should be done for pleasure.”

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Liz Marr said...

I agree with Julia Donaldson. Not all children enjoy reading. They should be encouraged to read & maybe have a minimum amount of time set aside each day that they are required to read.

Also, there are materials other than books such as magazines & comic books (they do have words) that I feel are appropriate for children as required reading.

Friday, June 10, 2011 at 11:18:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was never encouraged to read. I wish i was encouraged I think it would of helped me more in school with comprehension. I bet I wouldn't of fallen behind a grade.

Sunday, June 12, 2011 at 6:21:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Sue Bursztynski said...

My parents didn't have much English when we first came to Australia, so couldn't help us choose or read to us and Mum just took us to the bookshops and invited us to choose what we wanted. My sister also took me to the library. Because I didn't realise that some books were for grownups, I just read anything that looked interesting, like Robert Graves' Greek Myths, which I read in third grade at school. Now I'm a teacher- librarian I believe that anyone who hates reading just hasn't found the right book; it's my job to make sure they do.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 at 2:35:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home

.