Friday, July 30, 2010

Birthday for a Brontë

The Writer’s Almanac reminds us that today is the anniversary of the birth of Wuthering Heights author Emily Brontë:
Born in Thornton, England (1818). Emily Brontë wrote Wuthering Heights (1847), considered one of the greatest love stories of all time, but she never had a lover.

She said, “I have dreamed in my life, dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas; they have gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the color of my mind.”
Emily was one of a trio of talented sisters -- all novelists and poets -- who initially published under masculine names: Currer, Ellis and Acton Bell, with each sister choosing a name that started with the same letter as her own. All three sisters seem to have lived brief, unhappy lives while -- arguably -- altering the course of English literature.

Read more about Emily Brontë here.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

.